What NOT to do after filing Chapter 7

Obviously, the first thing to avoid after filing bankruptcy is getting back in debt.  You can only get a Chapter 7 discharge once every 8 years so, if you get in more debt, you might not be able to file another Chapter 7 for a while.  Second, don’t assume your credit report is “wiped clean”.  Be vigilant about checking your credit report at least once a year.  Go to annualcreditreport.com whey you will be allowed to get one free credit report from each of the three major credit reporting agencies once a year.  If something is still on your credit report that was discharged contact me right away.  Finally, don’t pay any creditor that has been discharged.  If you continue to receive payment requests from dishcarged creditors contact me immediately.

Reaffirmation Agreements

Reaffirming on a debt only happens in a Chapter 7 proceeding and it is a way to keep secured debts like vehicles and homes while wiping our other debts.  In order to reaffirm on debts, usually the creditor will require you to be totally current on payments.  If the creditor is willing to reaffirm on a debt they will send us paperwork which you must sign.  Please pay attention to your mail as I will notify you by mail when we receive a reaffirmation agreement for you to sign.

Do I have to go to the discharge hearing?

Ordinarily, no you to not have to attend the discharge hearing.

When will I get my discharge?

Your discharge will enter after you have completed your financial management course and filed a certificate of completion with the Court.  If you fail to complete the financial management requirement you will not get a discharge.

Financial Management

Completion of a financial management course is required in order to get a discharge.  This must be completed as quickly as possible after filing your case.  Here is a link to approved financial counselors in this district.

Are you involved in a lawsuit or expect an inheritance?

You are under a duty to update the Chapter 7 trustee in case you expect money from a lawsuit or inheritance.  If something like this should arise contact me immediately.